Monday, March 24, 2008

March 24, 2008 & Axe Handles

Hello from Cooks Creek. Snowing and blowing here. Temperature is around the freezing point. Very dull day. We’re havin venison stew and homemade buns for supper. Eatin high on the hog as usual. Hey, if ya got it, why not flaunt it. The good Lord provides and life is good (even if the weather sucks). Just ordered half a beef from a neighbor. Suppose to get it in 2 to 3 weeks. We have bought ground beef from this fella before and it has always been excellent. In fact, it is so good I refuse to eat the swill they sell at the supermarket now. My plan is to raise a couple of my own this year. That’s the plan. The easy part. Now, to make it happen.

Finally got around to replacin one of my axe’s handles this afternoon. Now, there is a story. About 2 months ago I broke the handle on one of my axes. I have a couple of axes so I just set it aside and grabbed up another one. That very week one of the stores in the city put out a flyer and 36 inch axe handles are on sale for $7.99/ea. That is a real good price (too good) so since I needed one I makes my way down there after work to pick up a couple (one for the broken handle and a spare). So, I goes into the store and ask for the handles. They tell me they don’t have them. They didn’t come in. Ok, Can I get a rain check? Uh, yea I guess so. So they give me a rain check for two 36 inch axe handles. Fast forward a couple of months and about half dozen trips back to the store and I still don’t have any handles. Now it is getting personal. I have been told everything from we expect them tomorrow to they are in transit and could be here any day now, we will phone you as soon as they come in. Now, many people only have one axe and can’t wait over two months for a handle. About a week ago I heads back to the store. Hi, I have a couple of axe handles on rain check, are they in yet. Let me see, click click click on the computer. No sir, but they have been shipped. Yea right. I makes my way to the handle section and what do ya know there are a couple of 36 inch axe handles there. Asks the the clerk if these are the same ones on sale and she reluctantly says they are. So I got them! So,after using $50 dollars worth of fuel drivin back and forth to the store I got my $7.99 axe handles. Actually that makes them $32.99/each. Not such a good deal after all. But I got them! Could of bought the handles for $15.00/ea in town 2 monthes ago.

Speakin of axe handles, why don’t they teach ya how to replace handles in school. I went to school for 13 years (counting kindergarden) and I was never shown how to replace a handle of any kind. Now, that is an important skill that everyone needs to know. I was taught how to speak French, the history of England and all about almost every country in this world but was never shown or told how to replace an axe, shovel or hammer handle or any handle for that matter. I have required that knowledge dozens of times but I have never once had to talk to anyone in French or had to know who Henry VIIIs 6th wife was or how she died (if he had 6 wives). Why don’t the schools teach skills that are useful. They have the boys makin aprons (sewing) and the girls building piggy banks (carpentry). Just so they are politically correct. If a boy doesn’t have a Dad, Uncle or older brother to teach him some of the impotant things he is behind the 8 ball. For all you people that are home schoolin. I got a dandy shops project for ya all. Replace a handle on an axe. A skill that once learned will be useful and passed on to other generations. The link below kind of over simplifies it but it is a good start.

Here is a link on how to do it.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2081856_replace-handle-axe.html

No joke tonight, instead a saying,

"A man who chops his own wood, warms himself twice".

Anyone know who said that?

I will give ya the answer in the next post.

Talk to ya all soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing the basic skills that are not taught any more at home or in school. The good Lord has blessed me with the opportunity to teach pioneer skills to 10 to 18 year olds. I enjoy this time with young people because it allows me a chance to pass along the skills my grandparents / parents taught me. I very much enjoy the look on the faces of the young people when they find out they get to chop some wood with a real axe, start a fire to cook over, lash together a fish trap, or build a shelter to spend the night in. Some of the kids are scared to death when they first start out, because it's so foreign to them, but by the end of 4 days all the boys smiling and having a great time.

Lynn Bartlett said...

Hi Guy, can't remember if the boys have ever changed an axe handle, but they have done hatchets. Someone gave us a bunch of old farm hand tools that need handles; maybe it would be a good homeschool project! I haven't been too great at commenting lately, but you sure have done a good job of blogging!

Goodolboy said...

Hello Ken, I was just at your blog to see if there was an update on Uno. I can't think of a better way to use your time than what you are doing. Good for you. Thanks for dropping by.

Lynn, Did you get my email? I know your lads will have many skills the average boy or girl (have to be politically correct) won't have. It goes with the life style they are living. Trappin, huntin, putting up drywall, fixin old machines, carvin wood, it all develops skills a yung uns without the opportunities won't experience. Visiting your boys blogs is what got me thinkin about this whole deal. This post has got alot of people talkin here on the homestead. Got more snow last night. We need the moisture but I don't want it (if ya know what I mean). Say hey to everyone from Cooks Creek.