Monday, January 1, 2007

New Years Day and We Got some Snow

New Years Day here in Cooks Creek. Happy New Year to ya all. Hope your last year was a good one and this one comin up is just as good or better. We got some snow. Man, did we get snow. Over a foot of the stuff Saturday nite. Imagine my surprise when I opened the door Sunday morning to do chores and walked into snow up to my knees. Our famous Environment Canada said 5 to 10 cm or 2 ½ to 5 inches for all us old folk who grew up with normal measurement units. Good ol Environment Canada. A government funded organization that is wrong over 80% of the time. Well, shouldn’t complain they are doin better than some of the other government departments and agencies. They are right 20% of the time. What do ya all think would happen to ya all if for every 5 things you did at work or on your farm you made 4 mistakes. Twister killed a lady this summer just North of here. Twister hit, Environment Canada issued a warning 10 minutes after she was dead and dozens injured. Even I can predict somethin after it happens. Well enough about that. They ain’t goin to change cause some hick in Cooks Creek ain’t happy with their ways.

A New Year. What am I lookin forward too. Spring, days getting longer, my daughter’s 18th birthday (where she officially becomes an adult) and my other daughter’s 13th birthday (where she officially becomes a teenager). Not sure which one has me most bothered. Funny how bein 18 gives you all these extra rights and freedoms. I know some that are 14 I would trust with my life and some that are 34 that I wouldn’t trust to let them use my wheelbarrow. Age doesn’t mean a whole lot when it comes to maturity. I’m not big into makin promises to myself to try and do this better or that different. If those things need doin I will have done it before now. Don’t need a specific date to spur me on.

This weekend and New Years Day (today) found us shovelin and blowin snow. Big job when you have that much snow at one time. We all dug in (so to speak) and got er done. I bought a blower for my tractor last fall. As of today that may be one of the smartest purchases I ever did make. That thing is as slick as snot on a door knob. Biggest problem was havin the snow blow back in your face when you can’t blow with the wind. The corrals had to wait until today because we had a North wind yesterday. South wind today, went in there and had everything cleaned up lickity split.

Back to work tomorrow. I am finding it harder and harder to go to work everyday. I want to be home here and work at farmin. Work in my shop on the equipment, makin stuff, raisin stuff and getting on with our dream. I don’t much like how I am feelin about work but I can’t help it. First time in my life I am not enjoying my job. Maybe it is just the winter blues.

As I was typing this blog, wife hollers up to me that I got to come watch a movie called Super Size Me. My oldest daughter had watched the show in her biology class and said it was something we should see. The show is about this ol boy who eats nothin but McDonalds food for 30 days. It describes what is in the food and how it effects his health. Doctors can not believe the effects it has on his liver (life and death stuff). The show is a must see for the whole family. At one point it gets a little unfamily rated as it describes what effect the food has to his marital relationship but once you get by that it is very educational and ok for the whole family. A must see. The kids watched it with us and they were askin questions which means they were thinkin. Describes how the diet was givin him mood swings, less energy and short bursts on energy. This guy was very healthy at the beginning of the experiment. In 30 days of fast food he was in such poor health his life was at risk. If ya get a chance have a look. Educational but scary. Tells how these corporations have paid lobbyists in Washington making sure the lawmakers support their cause. Makin Money!

Getting late, need some shuteye. Talk to ya all soon.

5 comments:

Chris said...

Hello! Thanks for the comment on my blog, it's great getting to know new people, especially the farming type.
I call the weather forecasters the "false prophets" and the name seems to fit. I have even stopped listening to them in order to determine when to cut hay because they will be wrong anyway.
Supersize me was and is an excellent piece of work and everyone that eats fast food should watch it and hopefully reconsider where they eat!
I am enjoying your blog!
Chris Scigliano

Lynn Bartlett said...

Looks like you are giving us another Alberta Clipper -- Thanks a lot! Winds are supposed to gust to 60 mph, after sustained winds of 35-45 mph. Batten down the hatches!

Goodolboy said...

Chris, Thanks for droppin by. I enjoy your blog too. The pics are great. Love that big ol barn. Structure looks good and straight.

Lynn, We are gettin spoiled with this weather. When winter hits and it will we won't know what to do with ourselves. Did the Turtle Mountain Boys catch any fish when they went ice fishin? Family was complainin how cold it was today. It was actually many degrees above the norm for this time of year but everyone has got wimpy with the warm weather.

Lynn Bartlett said...

Congratulations to your daughter! We have to get on the stick and help our son get his license as well. He isn't as anxious to drive as our next in line! Yes, the guys brought home 4 northerns, so of course they fileted them on the kitchen table and we had them for supper that night. I prefer walleyes myself!

Anonymous said...

Great work.