Tuesday, February 13, 2007

February 13, 2007

Hi all. It has been almost two weeks since my last blog. That can't do. Need to fill ya all in on what has been goin on up here in Canada. Well, I have been shiverin and then I shiver some more. A couple times I stopped shiverin because my body went numb from the cold. Well that is about it. Talk to ya all real soon.

Just kiddin. Actually there has been a bit more than shiverin from the cold goin on around here. It has been cold though. 35 to 45 below has been the norm every morn for the last couple of weeks. Thing is, we are gettin used to it and it don't seem so bad when we go out in the mornin now. Do all the chores at double pace but that is ok as long as they all get done. Say it is goin to warm up by Friday. Guess we will just wait and see and if it don't it will be cold and we'll just keep on, keepin on. No use complainin cause it don't help.

Things are gettin back to normal around here this week. Wife and oldest daughter are finished with the church play and it was another huge success. They were at it 3 weeks for 3 or 4 nites a week. Helpin with the play was good in itself but they spent time together and made memories that both will cherish for the rest of their life. Towards the end of the play the wife was sayin she will never do the play again but only a few days have past since it has ended and she is already talkin about next year. Anyway it was allot of work for all the people involved and it raised a mess of money for a good cause. It also provided some good wholesome entertainment for a bunch of people. Time well spent.

I have been doin some readin on these cold nites. The book I am readin is by Joel Salatin called Family Friendly Farmin. I do believe I am goin to have to edit my profile and add this book as one of my favorites. I am about half way through and it is more a lesson on daily livin than farmin. The farmin part is brought into it because that is what Mr. Saletin does for a livin but the lessons taught on child raisin and on the general outlook of life are quite astoundin. All in all a real good read. One of the best books I have read. Truth is I only get to read it part time. Wife is readin it too. So there is a bit of a battle on who gets the book, since we only got one copy. One of my favorite quotes in the book is “All work and no play makes Johnny a sad boy and all play and no work makes Johnny a spoiled brat”. How true is that. The only thing that saddens me is we (wife and I) didn’t start this deal 20 years ago. But then again no use cryin over spilled milk. Good thing we are startin now and better get on with it because time is a wastin.

Daytona weekend comin up. Now for the most part I don't watch much TV but when it comes to racin I have a bit of a weakness. Sunday will find me in front of the box starin at 43 cars goin round and round in a big circle for 3 1/2 hours. Don't sound too excitin but I can't help but love it. Yea I know, it is a waste of time and I could be doin somethin useful but it’s the Daytona 500. If I didn't watch it my life wouldn't be complete or the earth would stop revolvin around the sun. This is a big deal for me. Bigger than Christmas or my birthday. I need to get a supply or snacks and pop. Better get extra just in case there is a rain delay or allot of cautions.

Well quarter to ten, better have a cup of coffee go put Indy away and hit the hay. Five o’clock comes quick. Hope ya are all loved, warm, dry, full of good food. Ain’t much more a fella needs than that. Take er easy.

3 comments:

Lynn Bartlett said...

I lived near Indianapolis, In for 3 years, and each year had the opportunity to go see the Indianapolis 500. No thanks! It was sure a big deal down there, though. I'm hoping my boys don't get interested in racing, although they are already talking about dirt bikes!
By the way, I am still going to send you the info. you requested about homeschooling, but life has gotten exceptionally busy lately with working with legislative issues (the legislature is busy trying to take away what little freedom we have in homeschooling) and getting ready for the homeschool convention in Fargo in 2 weeks. After that things will slow down a bit. Thanks!

Goodolboy said...

Dirt bikes eh. I'm sorry Lynn, You have lost them. There's no cure. Once that mechanical bug hits there is no turning back. My young fella and your boys would get along great. Seems they have all the same interests.

I have never been to the 500. Watch it every year though. I was at qualifying once. Had a big time. Hey, they say it is goin to warm up. Don't get sun burnt.

Chris said...

Glad to read the update, I have to admit to having a weakness for racing though I have never watched a race. What's better than watching is actually driving fast. It's too bad that that is illegal!
I suspect that my siblings had something to do with Lynn's boys and dirt bikes, right now they have their bikes in the house rebuilding engines for the summer season. I guess it's no worse than me building generators in the house!
Keep warm, it sounds like you are getting more cold than I am here and -30 this morning was more than enough. Thanks for the caution regarding the car burning, I have been careful but I took a quick look anyway and realized that the diesel lines were pretty safe but the automatic transmission lines to the cooler were certainly not safe, I am building a guard to keep them from getting too hot.