Monday, February 26, 2007

February 26, 2007

Snow, snow and more snow. It has been snowin here for 4 days. I have stopped tryin to clean it up and am just goin to let it stop and then clean up once and for all. Spent a good part of yesterday clearin drifts away from fences so the horses couldn’t get out. Even though we have been getting snow the temperature is mild. Not meltin yet. But close. I can hardly wait for spring. I can feel it. It is just around the corner. Another 3 to 4 weeks and the geese will be back. In my little mind that will be the official start of spring. Things will start warmin up and growin. It will be wet and mucky for a spell but we’ll get er done. This will be our first year we are goin to put in a garden at the new place. Man, we got some big plans. Hope our energy and time can keep up to our plans.

It has been quite a spell since I last blogged. Not sure why I have let things slide unless it has been cause I have been doin some readin in my spare time instead of bloggin. I read Joel Salatins book, Family Friendly Farming. Now it takes the normal fella maybe a week or two to read a book like that. Took me a month and a bit. I am the slowest reader in history. Not sure why, just am. But when I am finished a book I can tell ya exactly what I read. I read every word. Getting back to the Mr. Salatin's book. I sure did enjoy it. The book is about farmin but really it could be related to any vocation. The book is really about family, raisin children, moms, dads, wives, husbands, work and really life in general. He (Mr. Salatin) tells it like he sees it. I like the way he thinks. I didn’t agree with everything he said but lets just say both of our trains of thought are on the same track. His concepts on family and raisin children in a materialistic world (a world that really doesn’t value either) are refreshin to say the least. 5 stars to Mr. Salatin. We need more like him in this world. Wife is readin it now. She will read that thing in under a week no problem. Me and her are at opposite ends of the scale when it comes to speed readin. I am readin The Contrary Farmer now. Actually I started the Contrary Farmer first then got ahold of Mr. Salatins book and started readin it. Now I got to finish the Contrary Farmer. Man, know wonder my life is so unorganized. Can’t focus enough to keep readin the same book I started in the first place. Once I get er done I will tell ya all what I thought of it.

Wizbang Chicken Plucker is comin along. Got all the bits and pieces just need to do the final assembly now . Shouldn’t take long just need to find the time to do it.

Chickens are startin to lay again. Days getting longer and the mild temperatures help. Youngest daughter had to be picked up from school this mornin cause she got sick on the school bus. So she is down with the flu. Then next week it is off to the hospital to gether tonsils out. Wife hurt her back today at work, so she is hobblin around here like an old lady. 2 out of 5 down. Hope nothin gets us 3. Got to get lots of sleep and make sure our systems are in top form to fight of all the bugs goin around.

Well that is all the news I have from Cooks Creek. Keep your stick on the ice and if they don't find ya handsome they should at least find ya handy. See ya all soon.

2 comments:

Lynn Bartlett said...

Thanks for all the news! We are heading out tomorrow for the big week in the big city, and the homeschool convention. Trouble is, this storm brewing may be a monkey wrench in the works. We'll see if we make it! The keynote speakers hopefully will make it as well! I sure hope your family gets better; Fargo is supposed to have the highest incidence of flu in the state, so we are building immunities as well. Hopefully things will settle down after we get back.

Goodolboy said...

Thanks for droppin by Lynn, Goodluck at the convention. Ya will have to fill me in when ya get back. Isn't this weather gettin old?