Thursday, March 29, 2007

March 29, 2007

March 29, 2007 in Cooks Creek. Well, by my definition in a previous post it is apparent spring has arrived in Canada. Or at least in my part of Canada. The geese are back. There are literally millions of them everywhere. They have come this far and have hunkered down waitin for the water on the lakes to open up so they can continue their journey north to their nesting grounds. With that said, it sure don’t feel like spring today. Cold wet snow and a strong wind out of the north makes ya move a little faster than usual when ya are outside. Temperature is around the freezin point but the wind makes it feel a lot colder.

As far as water goes it is not too bad. No floodin that I can see or have heard of yet. The municipal ditches are all open and flowin fast. The municipality has done a fine job of getting everything opened up this year. Normally my fields are half under water by this time but not this year. Or at least not yet. A couple weeks of rain can turn things bad in a heartbeat.

The chickens seem to be well on the mend. I believe they did have cocsiliosis (sp?). I hit them with an antibiotic and the improvement was fast. They are still on the antibiotic and will be for a couple of weeks yet. The antibiotic is Amprol and is mixed with their water. It is expensive but is the only cure. The result for not usin the antibiotic is ya loose your flock. I have to clean and lime the coop but need the weather to turn better so I can get them out of there. All together I think I lost about 15 hens. That in itself is not good but I have learned from it and know what to watch for the next time. Symptoms for this disease (which is a parasite in the chickens intestine) are; early stages = feathers are wet, blood in their manure and on the eggs, off their food, quiet (no clucking) later stages = all the above plus bad diarrhea (no solids, just water), wings start to droop, won’t eat at all, pale combs and around the eyes (go from red to a yellow), no interest in anything (just sit or perch). No fun watchin animals die. Was getting so I hated to go into the barn because I knew what I would find. The joys of farmin heh?

My next fun project around here is shovelin manure. Between the chickens and horses there is a lot of it and it all has to be cleaned up and piled. Can’t really expand on that much more.

The chicken plucker is a hair away from completion. Just need to do the pulley system yet. Have to purchase the motor and idler pulleys and it will be ready to pluck. Hope it works. Can’t see why it won’t. Everyone elses works and I built it as the plan directed.

My other project was the round bale picker. I needed to arc weld it together. The mig will not give the penetration required to weld the heavy steel the picker is made of. I don’t like to arc weld in the shop because I don’t have an exhaust fan (at least not yet). The smoke and fumes are bad after ya weld for a spell. We had some nice days earlier this week so I welded most of it up outside. I ended up makin the bale spear out of 2 old truck axles. Think it will work fine.

My oldest daughter is goin to be graduating this June. She plans on goin to university and goin into veterinary medicine. She has a big ol soft heart and we got to talkin about puttin animals down. I asked her it she thinks she could do the deed. She got real quiet and didn’t answer either way. Well, she went over to the vets in town and asked if she could volunteer her services. It is our spring school break here and she has been going to the clinic everyday this week to help out. She helped put a dog down yesterday. It went pretty well and although she did not like it (who would) she said she didn’t cry. Today they did another one and she said it gets easier. She sat in on a couple of operations today also. She is sure enjoyin the experience.

Lets liten things up here a bit, time for a red neck joke,

Two hillbillys meet on a dusty country road. Guy (goodolboy) is carrying a big bag labeled, "chickens."

"Chickens, eh?" says the other hillbilly. "Hey, if I guess how many chickens you got, will you give me one?"

"Heck, " says Guy who has the bag, "iffin you guess right, I'll give you both of 'em."

The other hillbilly scratches his head and guesses, "Um... five?"

Ya got to like that one.

Well, take er easy, Hopefully the weather will get back to bein warm here. Talk to ya all soon.

5 comments:

Brad Bachelor said...

Hey Guy,
I was reading through your blog and really enjoyed it. I hate to be too much of a critic, but I found this post....... well...... lacking........ :)

Goodolboy said...

Hi Brad, Welcome and thanks for droppin by. Yes it was a little short. Not sure what was happening. I tried to post but it kept comin up with just a title, then the wife hollered supper and ...... Well you know where my priorities went after that. Got er fixed now though. What model is that fine machine in the picture with you?

Guy

Brad Bachelor said...

Hey Guy,
Hmmm.... blogging or dinner..... hmmmm. Wise Choice.

That tractors a 5203. just a basic 50 hp tractor. Thought I'd try to semiretire my old one (a 1950 John Deere B), but I'm finding enough for both to do. The dealer kinda looked at me funny when I put my hand forward and said "Where's the clutch?" he said "Down by your feet sir" I know he's thinking this was my first rodeo. No matter. I love two things about it. Power steering, and suspension in the seat. Never had that before, and even though my seat is getting bigger and softer, I still need all the comfort I can get. I always wondered why those old timers stood up on their tractors..... Now I know.

Talk to you later,
Brad

Lynn Bartlett said...

Hi Guy, just to let you know, a broom works wonders on a rooster! Thanks for the tip! Your daughter volunteering at the vet clinic is a great idea; that is how our friend spent his summers/breaks,is now finishing vet school and will be a partner in the clinic where he volunteered. I am going to save the symptoms of your chicken's coccidiosis, so we know what to look out for. We are doing better now. We have our first broody hen, and hopefully the cats will leave chicks alone!

A very cold, wet, sloppy day for us as well. It just has to warm up soon!

Goodolboy said...

Hi Lynn, Taught that ol rooster who's boss eh. Good for you. Sunday afternoon here the 1st of April and the weather couldn't be more miserable. Cold wet snow and its stayin too. Talk to ya soon.

Guy