Saturday, November 24, 2007

November 24, 2007 One month until Christmas

Saturday evening in Cooks Creek. Not much happening. At least not in our home anyway. Actually, it is a good bet there aint much happenin anywhere in Cooks Creek.

I spent the day around the old homestead on our property clearing up some deadfall and cutting wood. Hard work but it is good work. Work I enjoy. Come to think of it, I enjoy it so much it doesn’t feel like work at all. Could put it on the same level as going huntin or fishin. With that all said, I am bushed. That little chain saw was getting kind of heavy after a time. Ya got to watch cause when ya start getting tired and your holdin a chain saw it may be better to call it quits. Still lots to do but it will be there another day.

Just sittin around here and thinking about how good I got it. Got a family that is second to none. Nice and warm in our little house. Roof don’t leak and ya can’t feel the wind (well not much anyway). Had a good supper, so I am well fed. Can’t think of a single thing I need. Well, there is one thing I think I will need in a short time, some sleep.

The wife has started playin her Christmas Hymns. She will play those CDs every chance she gets until Christmas. My Blue Grass has to take a back seat this time of year. She sure does love her Christmas carols.

Church tomorrow morning. I missed last week cause I had to work. So tomorrow we will be there and it is a bonus Sunday cause it is pot luck Sunday. Everyone brings a dish of something and ya get to have a great lunch after the service. Not sure what we are bringin (not my department). Last time wife made perogies. Maybe the same this time. Not sure.

I got the stalls in the barn completed. Didn’t do a bad job for a fella who isn’t much of a carpenter. My Dad was a carpenter and when I was a yung un I would have to help him. I sure wish I would of paid more attention to what he was doin and how he did it. As with most little guys my mind was on baseball, hockey, huntin and fishin. I would go and help cause I had to but my mind was mostly somewhere else. Sure could use some of that knowledge today. But ain’t that always the way. Ya squander your time and then spend time wishin ya wouldn’t have squandered it. My Dad wasn’t much of a teacher. If ya wanted to learn something ya shutup and watched. He didn’t want for me to be a carpenter. Not sure why. Just always said “ya don’t want to be don this for a livin”. That was ok with me cause I was more interested in machines anyway. My Dad’s Dad’s Dad (my great grandpa) was a carpenter. My Dad’s Dad (my grandpa) was a mechanic. My Dad was a carpenter. I am a mechanic. So, if trends are anything to go by my son will be a carpenter. That would be ok with me or not. What ever he wants to do as long as he gives it his all and is the best he can be.

As ya can see from my ramblins above I don’t have allot to tell ya but that is ok. Just some small talk. How about I end er off with a huntin joke.

A deeer hunter went on a deer hunt with his wife and mother-in-law. One evening, while still deep in the wilderness, his wife awoke to find her mother gone. Rushing to her husband, she insisted that they both try to find her mother.
The hunter picked up his rifle, and started to look for her. In a clearing not far from deer camp, they came upon a dreadful sight. His mother-in-law was backed up against a huge oak and a big grizzly bear stood facing her.
The wife cried, "What are we going to do?"
"Nothing," said her husband. "That bear got himself into this mess, let him get himself out of it."

That’s all folks. Talk to ya all soon.

1 comment:

Lynn Bartlett said...

We had one of those "not much going on" days until we ended up butchering our remaining turkeys! At least it's done for the year.