Saturday, December 2, 2006

What Happened to Christmas

Saturday night in our home. Things are winding down for the week. Real cold here in Cooks Creek. Wind out of the North and clear makes for a cold night. Finally got the Internet hooked up and running in our home. Blogging will become easier in the future instead of trying to blog on lunch and breaks at work. May even learn how to do so fun stuff, like pictures. I am also going to be doin some research into other farming activities we can get into next spring. A couple of hogs are on our to do list for sure. Maybe goats or cows for dairy. With both of us workin, time becomes a tough deal. It is a catch 22. Cut back on the work and we can’t afford to expand to meet our goal. It is our plan to pull out of our jobs and farm full time in 6 years. The KS Milkmaid (http://www.fullerfamilyfarms.com/topics/blog/) has really got me thinkin about the food we are buying for the family. We try and buy from the local farmers but stuff like dairy isn’t available for some reason (at least we can’t find anyone willing to sell privately). There are some big dairy farms in the area but private sales are just a hassle for them. So this problem could become an opportunity for us. We will have to ponder it a bit. If you get a chance mosey on over to the KS Milkmaids blog and have a read. Be warned, you won’t look at commercial food the same way again. We bought some of those little cheese slices the other day. You know the ones you put on your hamburger. I’m tellin ya, I could of rolled the thing up, put a wick in the center and used it as a candle. I’d bet anyone that thing was 75% wax.

I got talkin to a buddy/farmer the other day. He said something that got my attention. Said he was putting half his fields in summer fallow next year. Said fertilizer costs were killing him. Could it be the big agricultural companies are cutting their own throat? Things have a way of comin full circle.

The wife and I are goin to start lookin for a new church to go to. We haven’t been to church in a couple of years. The church we used to belong to got me riled and we pulled out of there in short order. Haven’t been back to a church since. With Christmas comin and all we got to thinkin about church again and tryin to hook up with one that we fit into. Not sure what/where that will be but we will know when we find it.

We have a big problem here in our home. It seems we have almost run out of grits. Now depending on where you are, you are goin to be askin one of two questions. If you’re a readin this in Canada your goin to be a askin what are grits and if your in the USA your goin to be askin, what’s the big deal, why don’t you go down to the grocery store and buy some. Well, there aren’t any grits in Canada but a friend of ours was headin for Grand Forks this weekend and promised to bring us a supply back. So we will be back in high cotton. I did some research in the Foxfire books and will be able to make my own if needed. Pretty simple when alls said and done.
My old time country/bluegrass has taken a back seat to Christmas carols in this house. I still sneak in the odd CD but carols are the order of the day around here until after Christmas.

goodolboy Speaks His Mind.

I’m not goin to be politically correct in this so if it goin to tick anyone, ya all better stop reading now. Canada was built on Christianity. Christianity was the foundation of my homesteading grandparents and my wife’s grandparents. Canada has been a Christian based country since the first settler arrived on its shores 500 years ago. With all that bein so then why do we have to take a back seat to other religious groups. The only group of people that should have any concern is the native Indians. And guess what, they don’t, because they are all Christians. My children don’t say the Lords Prayer in school anymore because it might offend someone. We can’t do a Christmas concert at school for the same reason. Winter carnivals have now takin the place of Christmas concerts. You can talk about Santa Claus but can’t mention Jesus or his birthday. Someone will get offended. Can’t have a Christmas Tree it is now a Holiday Tree. Well I’m tellin ya, I’m getting offended. It’s high time we started takin back our rights. Christmas is a Christian celebration of Jesus’s birthday. It ain’t a winter carnival or fair or whatever other politically stupid name they want to tag on it. I for one uses the word Christmas anytime it’s required, politically correct or not. Makes me no never mind. I said the Lord’s Prayer every mornin for 13 years in the public school system. My Ma and Pa did the same and if my grandparents went to school (don’t know if they did) they probably did the same. All of that has been wiped out in the last 15 to 20 years. How did we let that happen? Lets wake up Canada. Don’t be takin this in the way that I’m against other religions. Not so. That is not what this is about. If ya want to try and twist it like that well I can’t stop ya. It is not up to me to judge someone or their beliefs. Not my place to do that. The Christian foundation is what built our fine country and I get riled when it is getting pushed aside in an attempt to try and settle a few feelins. I’ve had my say. Lets here what ya all got to say. Bring er on.

Now I feel better. Had to get that off my chest. Oh ya one more thing.
Merry Christmas!

No comments: