Saturday, March 8, 2008

MARCH 8, 2008 Pay It Forward

Good mornin in blog land. It is away too early, away too cold and away too much snow. Yes, we had another storm last night and in the words of Popeye “It is all I can stands and I can’t stands no more”. A few days, weeks (I have lost track of time) I commented on a friends blog that God wouldn’t give me anything he knew I couldn’t handle. I don’t believe I am as strong as he thinks I am. Anyway, enough whining about the weather. It’s cold and it’s snowin and it will get warm and stop snowin………….some day. I hope.

Have ya all ever seen that movie Pay it Forward? I really enjoyed the movie. Not because of the great acting or the storyline but because of the message it sent out. For those that haven’t seen it, it is about a young lad that gets this idea that if a person helped out three people for every time they got helped how it would change the world to be a better place. Thus the title of the movie, Pay it Forward. So every time someone did something nice for you, you had to do three nice things for someone else. The movie then goes on about how he went about trying to get this to happen. Anyway, if ya get a chance have a watch. Good movie, not for young children (there is some stuff in there little eyes and ears don’t need to see). Made me tear up a little. Sad part at the end. Anyway where was I goin with this? Oh yea. Yesterday night my daughter and I are heading home from work and school and I see one of those SUVs stuck in a snow bank. They are off the highway on a side road and there is another truck beside them with its hood up. I am on the other side of the highway headin north and they are on the south bound side of the highway on a side road. Hundreds of vehicles were goin by them and not one was stopping to help. Can’t blame them. Its Friday night, got to get home to get ready for their big evening out. Well, as usual I don’t have a big evening planned (actually didn’t have any plans) so I thought time to pay it forward. I head down the road until I find a place to turn around and head back and give them a hand (what a great guy I am, right?) Not really, I did it cause I know that is what God wants me to do and he will pay it forward. Anyway I help them out and the whole thing takes about 3 minutes. We are headin home and my daughter and I are talking about all the people that were goin by and wouldn’t give them hand. We talked about why people won’t help each other anymore and all that stuff and we are talking about paying it forward. Many times when ya help these people out they will start reaching in their pocket and say “What do I owe ya?” I say pay it forward, cause that is what they did in the movie. Now, it is this morning, daughter gets up at 4:30 am to head to work and goes out to start her car. Oh yea, forgot to tell ya my daughter is the proud owner of her very first car. A brand new used Toyota Echo. It is somewhere in size between a rollerskate and skate board. Anyway, she goes out to start her car and comes back in and wakes me up (yea, at 4:30 even this want to be farmer is still sawin logs). “Dad there is a 3 foot drift 50 feet long in the driveway.” Ok, so I drag my sorry bones out of bed and get the equipment goin and get it cleaned out for her. Then I got to thinkin this probably ain’t the only drift in our area. Better take her to work in the truck. So off we go until we get to about ½ mile from the dairy farm. Now guess who is in the ditch? And I’m in good. So my daughter looks over at me and blinks a couple of time as if to say, your Dad your not suppose to goin in the ditch. Then she says I will go and ask for help at the farm. So off she trots to the farm. Pretty soon I see these headlights comin down the road and as it gets closer I can see it is a big front end loader. Now this isn’t a dinky little loader this is a mans loader. Anyway Al pulls the loader up, I hook on the chain I had in the truck and he drags me out. When I say drag I mean drag. I never got a chance to get the truck out of park and I was back on the road (it was a big loader). Anyway I unhook the chains and give him a wave and he drives away. We never spoke a word to each other. I have never met Al but my daughter has described him as a mountain man look alike so I know it was him and if you read this blog Al. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. Now I have to do 3 more pay it forwards. But that is ok; Every time I do one it makes me feel good. I walk a little lighter, smile a little more and generally feel a whole lot better about myself. All those people that went by that SUV after work had a chance to make their day a little better but they passed it up and let me have that opportunity. I waould like to thank them for that. Remember PAY IT FORWAD.

How about a joke.

It has been reported that 95% of Canadians say a cuss word just before they go into the ditch.

The other 5% say “Here, hold my beer and watch this.”

This cold makes us a little different up here.

Talk to ya all soon.

No comments: