Sunday, March 16, 2008

March 16, 2008

Well, Spring is here. After we came home from Church today, two greater Canada geese flew over the house. March 16th, I do believe that is the earliest I have ever seen geese. Actually that isn't completely true since I did not actually see them. My wife did. She came into the house all excited and tellin me about the geese. So, It is official. Spring has arrived in Cooks Creek. No matter what the weather. Geese are back. Spring has arrived. I spent the afternoon cleaning the corral. The girls and wife went riding. Hey, why am I cleaning horse manure and they are off riding the critters that created the poop. Doesn't seem fair. Oh well, they owe me big time now.

Once a month our church does the pot luck deal. Everyone brings a dish and after the service we all sit around and have lunch together. One of the fellas I was visiting with today works in the public education system as a teacher. He commented that when we were young (45 years ago) and started into the school system, the average vocabulary of a child that started into kindergarten was 2500 words. Today the average vocabulary of a child that starts in kindergarten is 500 words. Coincidentally the average vocabulary used in your typical tv sitcom is 500 words. Hmmm, may be some kind of connection. He also commented that 75% of the kids that enter grade 9, when tested, are two grades below the grade 9 level. My question is, why are they in grade 9? If they are not at a grade 9 level why has the system passed them through and allowed them to advance when they are not capable of that level of work. By allowing the children to advance without meeting the standards only hurts the children. A child can't fail a grade anymore. No matte what they do or don't do they will move through the school system and in 12 years graduate high school. With this being said and true, what value is a high school education. What has the child learned and what qualities have we instilled in that child. This is why kids leave school and enter the work force and have so much difficulty. They don't know what responsability is, what work ethic is, how to work, or how to make a commitment. What do you mean you want me to be punctual? Commit to a project, don't I just have to show up once in awhile and you will pay me. It is sad but true. Our education system is part of the problem. It is not a solution. I have been told it is the children's home life. Parents don't read to their children anymore. Parents don't spend time with their children. Too much tv. Parents don't secure family values in their children. Families don't eat together. I could go on and on. It is all true. But why has it become a bad thing to set standards in the school system and have the children meet those standards or else fail? What say you? My oldest daughter works at a dairy farm. It is hard, dirty work. Long irregular hours. It is almost imposssible for them to get young people to work there. Plain and simple most just don't want to work. Why? Maybe because they have never had to and don't know how. Don't do your math homework, we will just reconstuct your course so you can complete your math with little or no effort. Don't want to come to school. We will make you part of a special needs group that doesn't have to attend regular classes. Fast forward and they get a job at the dairy farm. They don't understand that the cows require milking at 5:30 am. I don't want to come in at 5:00 am, lets just milk the cows once a day at noon. Or better yet lets do it once every other day. We are in for a rocky ride. It ain't the childrens fault. It is our fault, the people responsible for the system (school and parents). Parents are using the school system as a babysitting service/drop in center and the school system is bailing on their reponsibities because the parents aren't preparing little Johnny for school. No win. Little Johnny can't figure out why he don't fit in when he gets into the work force and the wheels of the bus go round and round.

There, I haven't had a rant in a spell. Anyone agree or disagree.

Talk to ya all soon.

3 comments:

Matthew said...

Hi there,
Thanks for your comment on our family blog.

Here at our house we also believe that the Public Schools are going to be the death of the Country. Mom was just reading a book (A Different Kind of Teacher) by Public School Teacher John Taylor Gatto, who says that like most government jobs, the kids at school are not required to do anything except show up. "Make-work jobs" he call them. So right.

On another note, I believe we drove right past your town (probably within 50 miles) not too long ago, on our way to Alaska! (A story for another day)

By the way, we are wondering what happened to your chickens? I don't really know what happened to mine. The Hatchery (Mcmurry's) thought it sounded like brooder pneumonia, but said nothing about the sickness being contagious. I am now up to a 100% mortality rate, and I can't believe it wasn't catching since, they would be fine, and then two or three hours later dead--and cold and stiff to boot!

At least the hatchery is replacing them for me. Lord willing the next batch will do better. I'd appreciate any advice though, I'm just starting and don't really have a clue, I've just read a lot.

Thanks,
Matthew

Matthew said...

Thanks, so much for your chick story over at our blog.
I will add that to the memory banks--not too much kindness, just leave 'em alone :-)
Seriously, though the hatchery (Murray Mcmurray out of Iowa I believe) recommends adding their special electrolyte/vitamin stuff "Quik Chik" to the water. And since they will guarantee the chicks if you follow their recommendations "to the letter," I guess I'll use it. But I will be very careful not to exceed their recommended dose. We do have friends around here who use the electrolytes with great success, so perhaps it was just that batch, or maybe they got left out in the cold mail truck a little too long somewhere or something. Who knows!
That does sound something like what happened to mine though. It seemed like they always waited for me to come watch them so they could die. Several of them died in my hand, although not all at once thankfully! Their little hearts would be beating double time and they also frequently had fluid in their mouths when they died. I just chalked it up the the supposed pneumonia. But now I wonder...

I can't take credit for the music though, that is due to my "whiz-kid, computer-techie" brother! He even wrote some computer program that randomly selects from three (more coming soon?) music players--so if you don't like the music just refresh the page and it will probably be different! He's also really good at playing music, gifted you might say, especially the piano. Maybe someday he'll figure out how to put some of his own stuff up.

I was thinking I had set some kind of record killing off 27 chicks in about two weeks, but you really have me beat! :-) I don't think I'll try to best you though, eventually that could get expensive.
Thanks for sharing your story,
Matthew

Tractors Data said...

Tractor Information