Wednesday, March 26, 2008

March 26, 2008

Good day everyone. Everyone? Ok, maybe the one or two people that stumble across this blog. Snowed in Cooks Creek last night. Bright and sunny today. Big high pressure system has moved in giving us a bright, sunny but somewhat cool day. It has also made it difficult to keep a good hot fire going in the wood stove. The high pressue makes it hard to get a good draft goin in the stove so the fire doesn't give off alot of heat. Actually went out twice already. Oh well, have to put on a sweater. I am at home for the next three days because I have 3 days vacation left that has to be used up by March 31st. Use it or loose it I was told so what could a fella do. Don't want to be a trouble maker so I will take 3 days off with pay. So here I sit with a cup of joe. It is not all fun and games. I cleaned up the breakfast dishes, started a fire 3 times, did a load of wash, took wash off the line (didn't fold it though, maybe later) and fed the chickens, cleaned nesting boxes and collected eggs and visited with the horses (fed them old candy canes I found). I'm not even tired yet but maybe I should take a nap just in case I'm over doin it ; - ).

Oh yea, From the last post, Who said "A man who cuts his own wood, warms himself twice".

It was Henry Ford.

The last post got us talkin around here about all the everyday knowledge my wife and I needed but was never taught in school. We made a list. All the items on the list could apply to anyone, not just people tryin to farm or homestead.

Our List.

How to sharpen a knife/scissors.
How to replace a broken handle (axe, hammer, shovel etc.)
How to build a fire.
How to charge/boost a vehicle's battery.
How to replace a wall plug/switch.
How to tie different knots.
How to sew a button on.
How to sharpen a shovel (or that a shovel needs to be sharp).
How to fill a tire with air.
How to change a tire.
How to wash clothes.
How to iron chothes.
How to mend clothes.
How to hang a picture.
How to frame a picture.
How to paint.
How to set a table.
How to clean a house.
How to buy groceries.
How to speak in public.

All of these are basic skills everyone of us require, if not on a daily basis certainly many times a year. I was lucky enough to have family and friends who taught me these skills. Some yung uns aren't so lucky. The items listed are things my wife and I came up with back when we were in school. The list today could include items like how to be respect and talk to your peers, how to be honest, how to respect yourself, how to respect others property, how to repect your elders, how to dress, how to act in public etc . My wife and I were were taught these things in school but they are not taught or enforced in todays schools. Feel free to comment (for or against) and add to the list if ya can thing of more examples.

Time for a quote,, who said,

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Answer on the next post.

Remember, If God is with ya, who can be against ya.

Have a great day. Talk to ya all real soon.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm one of the two who peruse your blog. :-D I have you on my bloglines.

That list could be pages and pages...

Goodolboy said...

Welcome Ginny, Your one, I wonder who the other one is? Thanks for droppin by.

Guy

Jonathan said...

There's more than one or two people who read your enjoyable blog--check your site meter.

I hadn't considered the implications of a high pressure system on chimney draw. It does make sense. What elevation are you at? 'seems like that would make a difference.

What about 'How to write'? It could be a letter, a story, or even a blog. :)

Whoever your quote is from knew his stuff--definitely something to keep in mind if you frequent the public institutions!

Jonathan

Matthew said...

I'm the third one person that reads your blog. :-)

It's nice and sunny here today too, in the upper 40's. I only threw one batch of wood in the furnace this morning and it's up to 80 in the house--so we just opened up the front door and let the breeze blow on in! Our house gets a lot of heat from solar with the big picture windows on the south, but only when the sun shines! Nice to have spring almost here.

The new batch of chicks arrived Monday, and so far I have only lost one (about noon today) which is much better than I did the last time. Hopefully they will continue and get big enough to give us some eggs (and butcher the roosters). The one that died showed symptoms like it may have been pneumonia, but I really hope that it isn't because the last time that seemed to spread. I did chop up some green grass (that was growing under the hoop-house) for them, since grass is supposed to be a natural de-tox (the chlorophyll?)

Thats got to be hard about the vacation....three days off in a row? ((Dad has about four and a half weeks between vacation and holidays)(Thats how we could take off and drive to Alaska for three weeks(gets to be interesting after about two weeks all living together in a space only 8'x29'!)))

I've also found that (for me at least) it's quite a trick to sharpen scissors if they don't come apart--tend to nick the other blade. Maybe you should write a book about when and how to sharpen shovels. And could you do it soon? I need to start digging up the garden pretty quick here!

Oh, and don't forget to keep blogging...We're getting spoiled with these frequent postings. :-)


Matthew

Lynn Bartlett said...

Here's another one that reads your blogs (but doesn't answer emails)... I hear you about wood stoves and low pressure systems. The day before we left for the homeschool convention I had our good clothes out and ready to be packed; one of those low pressure systems came through, and our house filled with exhaust smoke! I wondered what people thought when they smelled us at the convention! I think I need to go over your list and see what the boys can do, and still need to learn. Thanks!

Goodolboy said...

Hey Jonathan and Matthew,

Thank you for droppin by. We are at about 750 ft here. I was over to your blog this evening and tried to comment but it wouldn't let me. It is not your blog it is this darn dialup internet service. If ya are goin to live in the sticks ya got to put up with not havin the latest and greatest. Sharpening scissors? Truth is I am not sure I know how. The only thing I remember is my Nana using a Coke bottle and actually working the scissors on the small part of the neck. She said it sharpened them. I wouldn't doubt it. She was a real pioneer. Came over here with her family as a young girl and they homesteaded. Lived in a soddy and the whole bit. Many many moons ago. Have to tell ya I am a little envious about your trip to Alaska. I want to go (actually would like to live there). I lived in Northen Manitoba when I was a young boy. Place called Grand Rapids. It is where the Saskatchewan River empties into Lake Winnipeg. Best huntin and fishin in the whole world. Lucky cause there wasn't much else to do. Talk to ya all later.

Hi Lynn, I was just wondering about the email cause my internet service has been less than reliable. No need to answer. When I smell all smokey I just tell people it is my new aftershave. "Campfire"